Monday, April 23, 2012

NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE FROM OCTOBER 1991

Thanks to Samantha for forwarding this old article from October 1991 in the NY Times about the club scene at the time! I absolutely forgot about this one.
Not only does it mention Samantha at "Troublemaker", but it also has a quote from Jhan Dean Egg, who passed away in 1998. "Egg" used to work at Gauntlet back then and actually pierced my tongue for me there. He was a HUGE tape trader as well and had an unbelievable collection!
Check it out!

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/20/news/is-it-punk-no-is-it-old-punk-no-new-wave-no-but-feel-it-rocking.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

One other thing regarding the "Egg" quote: how on earth did I forget the club "London" that started up around Fall 1991, especially since it was only the second club I used to hand out flyers for (after "Communion")!!??
I remember it was in a nice spot not too far from Limelight but didn't end up lasting that long. I think Michael "London" was one of the promoters, who later on went on to promote "London Dungeon" in what I believe to be the old "Zone Dekay" space on the West Side in late 1992 on Wednesday nights. THAT was a fun spot for a little while!
And it also mentions another club night I forgot about: "Evolution" that was at the Big City Diner waaay on the West Side of 43rd Street! I remember one of the guys who had a hand in that was "Raheem" who was a regular at Communion who was a really good guy.
Thanks Sam!!

2 comments:

  1. That "slightly inebriated" picture of you was in my dorm room! I miss those days. When I think about them, you are all over my memories. I have some pictures I can scan and send to you if you want to post them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee!!! Email me girl!!! Same email as always! I definitely need pictures of YOU since almost all the ones I had were thrown away by "you know who"!!! Ha!
      Well, how can you blame someone to be envious of the prettiest Goth girl in NYC!!!
      Hope to hear from you!

      Delete