Sunday, October 28, 2012

REST IN PEACE DJ REESE...

 Reese with Michael T at Troublemaker. Autumn 1991.

I'm sure I was one of the last to hear about this, but for those of you who haven't heard yet, I just found out DJ Reese, the man behind so much of our scene back in the day, passed away last week.
Truly an awful bit of news.
Reese was such an awesome person, and I'm sure many of you felt the same way. He was always up to help one of us out, and was always encouraging everyone to go out and do their own thing.
He hooked me up with internships, writing gigs, and always introduced me to music I never heard before.
I will always remember all the crazy nights at Troublemaker, Stigmata, and Censored, all places he DJ'ed and had us dancing well into the early morning. But a great memory I will always have of Reese in particular was a night in the Chapel of Limelight, when the crowd hadn't shown up yet, and he threw on Section 25's "New Horizon" for me, and we just sat back and listened to that awesome track blasting through those speakers, enjoying every second of that super-slow, LONG classic. It was a track he'd never play at a club, but knew I was having a real rough time in "life" and just wanted to surprise me and make me feel a little better. That's the kind of person he was.
A really great person I really feel lucky to have known...
Really hard to hear this news. Hope everyone closes their eyes for a second and thinks of a moment Reese made them smile back then, whether it was from DJ'ing, cracking a joke, or just being the laid back nice guy he was...
Rest in Peace brother...

7 comments:

  1. He was a wonderful kind soul... heaven just got itself an angel in doc martins... RIP Reese... save me a spot next to ya... we are going to have some catching up to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, John. Those Troublemaker days were really one of the highlights of my youth, and Reese was all over those days. He introduced me to so much music, and he never said no to a request. He was such a friendly guy that everyone loved him. We recently re-connected via FB (thanks to Sam) and I was sure he wouldn't remember me because he was that nice to everyone but he did. The world is a little less bright without him in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This has really hit me hard, and I cannot help but see the irony in the fact that Reese was the one who commented that there were too many "R.I.P.'S" listed for people who died from our scene when I started this blog.
      He really was one of the good guys, and it'll take me a while to get over this news.
      Hope everyone is safe out there post-Sandy!
      Be well everyone...

      Delete
  3. oh man this is so sad, he was one of my very first influences as a DJ, gave me my first DJ lessons 101 on the fly after closing at a club called 'Dakota's' in Portland, Oregon..this was right before he moved to NYC.

    Once he moved to NYC, i lost touch with him..he was always such a friendly, down to earth, kind hearted spirit...RIP big brother Reese..Your spirit is in me eternally :-)

    Mez Matos (fka Mestizo) veteran DJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is in a better place and i can say that he was happy with his life. I feel an emptiness knowing that I will never see him again. I am fortunate that i reconnected with him and am so grateful for the time we spent working on my tattoos. The work I have from him is his concept and all his original work. It was all done on trust.. sight unseen .. it is what he saw for me. It is such a gift. Reese in Peace. 1965-2012. My life is better for having known him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m still in shock - sorry I didn't email you, you really need to get on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete